Sunday 30 March 2014

This is why I don't do drugs


 
This is why I don't do drugs
30 March 2014

There are surely many schools of thought out there regarding drugs.  Many trains of thought. 

Those for and those against.  Those violently opposed, and those pro.

For soft drugs and hard drugs.  For the easily accessible, and the more difficult to acquire.  For the expensive and designer, to the garden variety home grown weed.

I am well educated enough and well informed enough to identify the pro’s and the con’s.  To make up my own mind.  To choose to abstain or enjoy.

I certainly see the benefits of medical marijuana for those in need.  That it isn’t necessarily a gateway drug to more addictive narcotics.  That it depends on the individual in question.  In many ways I think it is less destructive and harmful than alcohol.  Alcohol destroys lives, makes people irrational, aggressive, slows motor functioning, makes them argumentative and is a downward spiral for many, many people.

Yet in the same token, many people are mere social drinkers.  Reserving an occasional drink for when the need takes them.  That they can drink, and do so fairly regularly, without getting falling down drunk and abusing alcohol.  That they can have a healthy relationship with alcohol.  Not taking things to the next level.

Personally, I don’t do drugs.  None of them.  And this is why:
 
  • I’m a mom, and so it is very important to me, to set a good example to my kids.  It’s difficult to preach something to my kids, if I’m not practicing it myself.
  • I think it can potentially be very destructive.
  • I wouldn’t want to waste money on drugs, when I have other more pressing money matters on hand – like educating, feeding and clothing three kids.
  • I wouldn’t want to feel out of control.
  • I wouldn’t want to live a double life.
  • I would hate to drive around looking for a dealer in dodgy neighbourhoods.
  • I don’t really want my natural mood altered in any way.  I like being me, and wouldn’t want to be different.
  • I think the options are very limited – either hectic stimulants, depressants, or hallucinatory.  None of them really appealing to me at all.
  • I have an addictive personality.  If I do something, I do it in extremes.  I give it my all.  Look at my blog.  My writing.  My newfound obsession with walking.  Most things in my life.  If something takes my fancy and tickles me, I give it my all.  This very same personality trait, makes me avoid other dangerous addictive habits – like games on Facebook, PlayStation, etc.  I know this about myself.
  • I want to be a person my kids can be proud of.  That they can look up to, and admire.
  • Quite honestly, I don’t know where I’d find the time to indulge in drugs.  To be unproductive because I’m high.  To need recovery and down time afterwards.
  • My looks are precarious at best – I wouldn’t be able to afford getting all sloth-looking, and not caring about my personal appearance and hygiene.
  • Just think about it – what would I weigh if I gave in to the weed munchies!
 
Now don’t get me wrong.  Barring my kids and my family, I don’t mind if anyone else indulges.  Knock yourself out.  I hope it’s good.  And you get what you need.  I’m certainly not judging you. 

But for me?  No thanks.  It’s just not my bag.

I decline.  I’m high enough on life as it is.

Please click and LIKE on Facebook - Thanx!

 
Hell yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment