Tuesday 22 April 2014

Call me maybe - Cheerleaders vs Troops


Call me maybe - Cheerleaders vs Troops
22 April 2014

This was sent to me a while ago, and I absolutely LOVE it.  My kids and I have watched it a few times.  And we still enjoy it.  Every single time.  I even subjected my husband to it, and he enjoyed it too.

So here’s the story…

Being in the military and being stationed away from home, must suck.  Big time.

Most especially, as the military landscape in America changed rather radically after 9/11.  Nothing has ever been quite the same.  Since that day, brave soldiers have found themselves being sent off to “charming” and “quaint” spots.  Very far off the regular tourist route.  There’s Afghanistan and Iraq.  Lebanon and Somalia.  Libya and Pakistan.  Georgia and Haiti.  Not the kind of place, people might ordinarily choose to visit.  Especially given their questionable safety, humanitarian, and all round upstanding reputation of late.

Now don’t get me wrong – I am sure that all of these countries have a charm and magic of their own.  Most likely some beautiful scenery and wonderful people.  However these military troops, are usually seen as the foreign enemy.  They live in dangerous areas, in military compounds.  Very far removed from the creature comforts of home.  I picture metal trunk beds, thin mattresses, squelching heat, or bitter cold, feeling like a target, dorm-style accommodation enforcing a lack of privacy, canteen style meals.  “Lovely” edible treats like powdered eggs – just add water.  Instant coffee – no capu’s for sure.  Loads of corned beef and spam.  And very little in the form of entertainment.

Further I envision, irregular contact from home.  Not having laptops and access to Facebook.  An indulgence in man-style entertaining – loads of roughing it up.  No quick nip down to the shops.  And having to exercise caution during the infrequent contact they do have with home, lest they give away location, etc.

Clearly, this would not work for me.

But perhaps I judge this all wrong.  Yes, my Dad watched M*A*S*H when I was a kid.  He was the boss of the remote and there was very little alternate TV viewing on offer.  Therefore, unless we fancied ourselves reading a book, or doing something else, we watched M*A*S*H as well.  Maybe troops away on deployment have it very differently now.  Maybe there’s way more luxury and regular living mixed in with the living-abroad-with-the-army-thing.

Anyway, be that as it may, I still think that boredom and a yearning for the normality and everyday activities of home, must be hard.  Which is why I enjoyed this clip so much.

A US singer, Carly Rae Jepson, did a catchy little song called, “Call me maybe”.  A nice little poppy tune.  Enter the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders.  These lovely young 34-24-34 lasses were away in the Dominican Republic, doing their annual swimsuit calendar.  And so, being swept up in the beauty of their surroundings, the catchy little tune, being the catchy little tune of the moment, and being in the mood to have themselves a bit of fun, they decided to do a lip sync video of themselves on location, miming the words to the song.  Yes, there’s a whole lot of booty on display.  Gyrating and suggestive moves too.  But clearly the girls were just having some fun.  They decided to upload their video to YouTube, and quite predictably the views just racked up.  They were an internet success.

But here’s the thing with the internet – it’s kinda global.  Even reaching far-off places like Afghanistan.  And then, in response to the video by the girls, a bunch of Marine Troops, stationed in Afghanistan, decided to do their own lip syncing version of the song – this time based on the Miami Dolphins.  Mimicking and copying their every move.  With a few minor adjustments – due to their surroundings of course.
 
Well, the end result is brilliant!  I include the YouTube clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H96-TwrwY7M

It has a split screen, so you can view both versions at the same time.

No surprise, but the Marines did a stellar job of their video.  And not only have they become an internet sensation themselves, but they have a spawned a whole new trend and style – boys in the military, doing video remakes in their down time.  With some hilarious results.

Now I know it’s a bit silly and frivolous, but big up to these boys.  I salute their sense of humour and their positive, fun-loving attitude.

I’m not even American, and you make me proud.
 








1 comment:

  1. Fabulous! It must have been a fantastic release from all the action/boredom!

    ReplyDelete