Wednesday 30 July 2014

The problem with being the baby in the group is this...


The problem with being the baby in the group is this...
30 July 2014

I was looking back at some of my old photographs the other day.  Mind you, only the digital ones on my computer.  I never even glanced at my hard copy prints. 

It was a friend’s 50th birthday.  And as the self-appointed photographer at any gathering, I’m always the one taking photos.  And on this occasion, we had bought Thea a digital photo frame.  But what is the purpose of a photo frame if it is not filled with pics?  And who should have all of the pics?  Moi! 

Now, this was not an easy task.  I have over ten years’ worth of photos.  Thousands and thousands and thousands.  Entire hard drives full.

Making even a small selection of some of the very best photos was a mammoth task.  Eventually I dedicated over three hours to the project on Friday morning (nothing like last-minute-com), and eventually whittled the selection down to a mere 5 000.  And this was only up to January 2008!!!

I eventually called it quits, and trimmed it down further to a measly 763.  I will continue my task, but for now it’s an ample start.  Two hours’ worth of continuous photo play.

But here’s the thing I noticed on my three hour long photo journey.  A journey filled with awesome memories and really good times.  The one and only Cole is the baby in our crowd of friends.  And for a really long time, he was the baby of the family.  Our nuclear family, as well as the extended family on both sides.

One fact became blatantly obvious – he didn’t need legs.

There are very few photos of the little bugger walking at all.

He was permanently attached to someone’s hips!  The adults carried him around – family and friends.  Our friends children.  Our other children.  Our family members.  Random people at social gatherings and school functions would claim him.

He was forever hoisted.  And attached like a limpet to someone’s side.

Even once he was able to walk.  And even then, he didn’t really fancy walking either.

Instead he opted to run.  Very much a reflection of his personality.  A trait still evident to this day.

So perhaps he was saving himself.  Reserving his energy.  Knowing full well, that when the time came, he’d leap through life.

And run.

Please click and LIKE on Facebook - Thanx!

 
A rare photo of little Cole with his feet touching the ground - and even here he's running
 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting observation!!
    The one and only.........
    He was (is) flippen cute. Always the charmer.

    ReplyDelete