Monday 7 July 2014

Pen for hire

Pen for hire
7 July 2014

Nearly two years after my blogging journey first started, I’ve got my first paid writing gigs.  Within a week of each other.  What are the odds?

Yes, indeed.  I am now a paid writer.  Of newsletters.

Hey, I think it’s pretty cool.  And I’m damn chuffed to have both the faith in me, and the bucks too.

The one is a weekly gig, and the other, a termly one.  And I enjoy the added challenge.

How funny is life?  Neither are about topics I’m overly familiar with.  Or knowledgeable about.  Yet, if the bare basics are supplied, it’s been proven that I can waffle on about anything.  Really, anything.  Fairly convincingly too.

A very good acquaintance contacted me out of the blue, to help her with her business newsletter.  A task that usually fills her with dread.  And lethargy.  I immediately agreed.  And believe it or not, but she absolutely loved my efforts.  And said that it was exactly the tone and style she was aiming for.  Yet couldn’t achieve on her own.

I mentioned this stroke of good luck, to a very good friend, who immediately replied, “Hey, won’t you help me too?”.  And luckily for me, she was utterly charmed with my penmanship as well.

And just like that, I was a paid author.  It’s true. 

Up to now, I’ve written for me.  For fun.  For enjoyment.  As a means of archiving my children’s childhood.  And as a diary.  A near daily slice of my life.  And I will continue with this, irrespective of other writing jobs.  It feeds me.  My heart and my soul.  And brings me great joy and fulfilment. 

But as for the whole commissioned writing thing?  Silly, but it means a lot to me.  These are my first spin-offs from the blog.  And in a way it both justifies my efforts and dedication to the blog, as well as endorses my writing skills.  Someone else thinks it’s good.  And it’s worthy.  In fact, they’re willing to put their money where their mouth is, and pay me for it.  For my skill, or gift.  A gift I never even knew I had.

Given the confidence they’ve put in me to project and portray their very personal businesses, I am deeply touched.  It is a huge honour.  And an extreme show of faith and belief in me.  In addition, it gives me value in my abilities.

One that I am deeply grateful for.

And given my absolute delight and pride at these opportunities, I don’t think that a weekly column in a glossy magazine could feel any more special. 

I feel victorious!

These are but baby steps.  But they’re my baby steps.  And I’m proud of them.

So I would just like to put it out there.  That I’m a gun for hire.  A mercenary.

Ready, willing and able.  My words are my weapons.  And I’ll wield them for you.

A big shout out to fabulous friends.  For faith, encouragement, support and unending belief.

You’ve given me wings.

Please click and LIKE on Facebook - Thanx!


1 comment:

  1. So very proud of you!!
    Indeed baby steps, but a start!
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete