Monday 8 April 2024

Yes, I paint hollowed out eggs for Easter. Bite me.

 


Yes, I paint hollowed out eggs for Easter. Bite me.

8 April 2024

I do so love myself a festive season. Of any particular kind. Xmas and Easter? Bring it on. Sadly, we’re not very big on Halloween. Cause I suspect I could’ve gotten really sucked into that one big time.

 

So Easter was last weekend. And we had a lovely family meal with all of the kids and Amber’s boyfriend, Rob too. Such a super chilled and relaxing day.

 

And I know that most people don’t decorate for Easter. Look, I get it. It’s not for everyone. In fact, loads of people don’t even decorate for Xmas. You do you, and all that. Each to their own.

 

But I am so very, very fond of an occasion. Of any kind. And at this time of the year, Easter is as good an excuse as any. In addition, it gives me a marginally legitimate reason to decorate and indulge in some crafting.

 

So pray tell, what do I do? Well, I paint hollowed out eggs. And lots of them. Yip. I know I’m kinda nuts. And most people don’t really get the point it all. But that’s okay. Cause I get it. I grew up doing it and it’s an activity interwoven with many happy memories of wonderful times together. In the home that I grew up in when I was still a children. I enjoyed it when my children were little, when some of them were a bit bigger, and even now. They’ve all given up and no longer indulge. The youth of today. No stamina, I tell you. Even now, when I visit my Mom over Easter time, we all indulge and paint big time. And usually some of my kids will pick up their paint brushes too.

 

But as for me, I GO ALL OUT!!! And I absolutely love it. Never let it be said that I don’t go the whole hog. Cause truth be told, I’m rather fond of hogs too. Which brings me to another point? Why isn’t there a whole celebration for the wonderful, miraculous pig?

 

So here’s the thing. You don’t just randomly paint hollowed out eggs. First, you have to ensure that they get hollow in the first place. Which means scrambled eggs on the daily, or almost daily. In addition, there’s pancakes, waffles, flapjacks and the like. You’ve got to painstakingly making teeny tiny little holes, blow out the insides and then meticulously wash them. It’s also takes a bit of time for them to dry. Then you’ve got to give them a few base coats so you’ve got a solid colour to begin with. Having a wishy-washy background is not nice at all, and it diminishes the overall effect of the final product. So, I’m thorough. Ensuring that my foundation is good.

 

It is extremely fair to point out, that though I love crafting, I’m honestly not particularly artistic. At all. Juvenile at best. On a really good day. So I go for something that will have an overall good effect. Swirling curly-cues, symmetric details and a fair bit of fluffing it as I’m going along. Look, it doesn’t really mind if anyone else likes them. Cause I do. And it makes me happy. Not just the final product, which I invariably love cause it’s to my tastes. But because I love the process of it all. Even just unpacking my Easter eggs from previous years brings me joy. And I so love looking at them.

 

Apart from the odd egg shell that breaks from wear and tear and the difficulty in storing them without them becoming damaged or cracked, I still have most of my painted eggs. Every year, my need for storage becomes bigger and more complicated. Cause how do you really ensure that they don’t break? Eggshells are fragile things at the best of times. Without the benefit of the gooey goodness inside the eggshell, it’s even more prone to cracks and breakage. Let’s just say it’s complicated.

 

And through my collection of the creations of past years, it’s been wonderful to see how every year has a colour scheme or pattern of choice. I display my eggs proudly throughout my house on as many available surfaces as possible. All in the hopes that my cats won’t destroy them. So far, so good. But I don’t want to jinx it too much. I display them in glass bowls and vases, sorting colours and themes together and love the overall effect. Such a fun thing to do.

 

So this year, my colours are red (beeeeeeg surprise), white and black. And I’m loving it. So awesome and I’m loving the end results.

 

Found it quite funny that I’ve had quite a few friends sending me messages or commenting, saying that Easter does not feel complete without seeing my egg collection posted on Facebook. So hurry up already. Most flattering and sweet.

 

Alas, I’ve promised my Grantie that I’ll finish up this weekend. And pack it all away again. Mostly I suspect he’s just tired of scrambled eggs. Can’t blame him really, I’m also feeling as though I’ve peaked on my egg consumption. Because of his heart, we watch his egg intake in general and usually stick to 2 eggs a week. But we might have relaxed those restrictions a little bit over Easter. Not too hectic. The kids helped with the eating of eggs too. But I think we’re all tapped out. In addition, we finished the last marshmallow Easter eggs a few days ago. So it really is time to move on.

 

So I give to you, Easter 2024. Enjoy! Yes, I know I’m mad. Grant reminds me often enough.

 

Actually, on second thought. It wouldn’t be fair to pack everything up straight away. Cause the newly painted eggs have not yet had their chance to shine in the spotlight. To enjoy being displayed. So perhaps I’ll stretch it out for just a little bit longer. But will refrain from tackling anymore. Restraint, is a very, very hard thing to do. But I’ll give it my best shot.

 

Anyone for scrambled eggs?





 


No comments:

Post a Comment