Wednesday 10 April 2024

Jazz Cabbage and other funny phrases

 


Jazz Cabbage and other funny phrases

10 April 2024

You’ve absolutely gotta love a good quirky saying for average every day things. And even some not so every day things too. The slang code we use to describe stuff.

 

Now when it comes to certain illegal substances, I’ve heard multiple terms or phrases for Marijuana. I suspect we all have.

 

And most of them make me laugh. I mean why would you say Marijuana, Dagga or Dope, when you can rather say, “The Devil’s Lettuce” or “Jazz Cabbage”.

 

Not entirely sure why I find it so entertaining. Cause let’s keep it real here. I’m not a partaker of the good stuff. So how often do I ever talk about it or mention it in conversation? Hardly friggin ever. Yet, when I come across a boring description like Weed, I simply always pipe up with either “The Devil’s Lettuce” or “Jazz Cabbage”. How can I possibly resist? And then I usually giggle. True giveaway that I’m a novice. Don’t think serious Lettuce lovers find it all that funny after all. Jeez! You’d think they’d find it more amusing, especially if they’ve imbibed.

 

So how did I come across some of my favourite phrases? Well I was listening to the radio one day, and I think it was Wackhead Simpson and his wacky crew, who listed a whole bunch of synonyms for Weed. And I thought it was hilarious. Hence I try to use them often. You know, when I discuss weed and stuff. 😉

 

And then the other day, Grant and I were busy watching a series. Can’t quite recall which series it was, but the use of Cocaine was described and Grant and I both burst out laughing. Don’t get my wrong. I’m not into that kind of thing at all. Drugs destroy many, many lives. And addiction is a horrible affliction. So I’m not making light of either the drug, or the addiction people suffer from because of it. I think it’s a very slippery slope and it can get it’s clutches on you and take you down a horrible rabbit hole before you’ve even realised it. And I don’t wish that upon anyone I know. I truly wish that we lived in a world where drugs didn’t exist. Where their hold on people didn’t ruin so many lives and cause so much agony and destruction.

 

So my mirth is not directed at the problem that drugs cause. Or the drugs themselves. Maybe it’s more because of the irony of giving a horrible drug, such a funny and innocuous name. Making it seem harmless. Even fun. Which I know that it is not. And maybe therein lies the problem. Cause let’s face it, in the long run, I don’t think drugs are fun at all. It’s certainly no laughing matter.

 

But I suppose I have an unusual sense of humour and it tickled my funny bone. Most likely it’s probably a very common nickname. But it’s just that I’d never come across it before.

 

So pray tell, how was Cocaine described? Well it was called, “The Devil’s Dandruff”. And maybe that’s why it is so amusing to me. It’s a funny phrase. Seems so harmless. And is so at odds with the actual substance and what it causes.

 

So please hook me up, and share some of your funny descriptions or slang terms too.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment