Sunday 28 April 2024

Nickname Nirvana

 


Nickname Nirvana

28 April 2024

I love me a good nickname! I mean it didn’t take long for my husband Grant to become My Grantie. Highly inventive? Nope, not in the slightest. But I suppose it is a nickname of sorts. Perhaps I should’ve been more visionary? Hey, there’s still time! This does not mean that I don’t occasionally become more creative with his name. When he’s in bad mood, I call him Grumpy Grantie. I find this highly amusing. Him? Not so much. Calling him Grumpy Grantie has one of three reactions. He either ignores me flat out. Because, he’s being grumpy. Duh! Sometimes it puts him in a bigger snit. But very often, it helps to dilute his mood. Regardless of his reaction to me calling him that, I always find it funny. So there’s that. Yay me!

 

When I’m feeling very, very brave I dip into another adaptation. But this is the big smoking gun. Used rarely, for maximum impact. Also, only used when I’m a safe distance away. Hey, I’m not stupid. So let me paint a scenario. He’s maybe a bit whiny in my opinion. Rambling on about something that I don’t find worthy of rambling on about. At a juncture like this I hit him with my finest verbal salvo – “Aunty Grantie”. But this is only reserved for when it’s absolutely vital and critical. And I’m not standing close to him.

 

And as for my kids, they all had nicknames before they were even born. Luke was Lukie-Pooh. It was super cute when he was little. But by early primary school (most likely preschool) he was soooooo over it. I would still call him that at home. But saying it in front anyone else was strictly verboten! It’s been years and years since I’ve been allowed to indulge. However, once in a blue moon, I accidentally slip up and call him Lukie. And this is always met with a horrendous and scary looking death stare. Hence I try to forego the pleasure. Now some of his friends on the other hand? Well, they’re welcome to call him Lukie. No death stare in sight. Double bloody standards if you ask me.

 

Amber’s always been Amber-Berry. Or variations thereof. Often just, Berry. Right through play school, pre school, primary school, high school and even now, since she’s out of school, many of her friends still call her Amber-Berry. Luckily she loves it and is all good with that too. Phew!

 

Now as for Cole? Well, I went all out with him. He’s Cole-Cuddlebug, Moenkelkie-Poenkelkie, Moenkelkie, Colekie-Molekie and Biggie-Wiggie. Most of those nicknames have been dropped over the years. But even now, I mostly call him Biggie. Every typed WhatsApp message starts with, “Hi Biggie”. What can I say? I love nicknames.

 

Grant is a fine purveyor of watching funny videos in bed at night before going to sleep. I mostly read something or troll social media. But hey, I’m not deaf. Which means, that by default, I get to listen to his choice of video material too. Some are questionable. No doubt about it. Most nights include a funny guy who delights in regular public flatulence. And Grant absolutely howls with laughter. On these occasions, I record voice notes of him laughing uncontrollably and send them to Amber. We share the same sentiment, which is that boys never really grow up. I mean I’m sure he also found this kind of stuff funny when he was five years old.

 

Anyway, I digress. Another one of his favourites to indulge in, is a channel hosted by two Aussie guys. And to be fair, they’re frigging hysterical! And I mostly get completely sucked in, eagerly listening too. Also resorting to guffawing with glee.

 

They host a regular podcast about funny nicknames. They’ve done over 40 segments on nicknames alone. Now I don’t know if Aussies are more into nicknames than other nations? Regardless, the quirky sense of humour really appeals to me. They’re usually attached to a story, explaining the logic. Nickname submissions are made by the public and then they share these most generously. So I’ve made a few notes of some of the best ones. And I simply have to share.

 

I present to you – Funny Nicknames. Enjoy!

 

Exibit A - Socketman - An electrician was nicknamed “Socketman” by the rest of his crew, cause he looked just like Elton John.

 

Exibit B - Repeat – Somebody did a submission for a cousin that they all called “Repeat”, because he was the spitting image of his father, Pete.

 

Exibit C - Hip Hip – Somebody worked with a guy called Hugh Rae, and his nickname was very rather aptly, “Hip Hip”.

 

Exibit D – Keth – Somebody knew a guy who lost one eye due to ocular cancer (feel terrible for him), so everyone started calling him “Keth” instead of “Keith”.

 

But my favourite by far… I present to you…

 

Exibit E – Eighteen months – Somebody worked with a guy who last half of his ear, so he only had an ear and a half. Hence his nickname was 18 months cause he only had “an ‘ear and a half”. Each time I think about this I snigger.

 

Fact is really stranger than fiction. And people are truly inventive and extremely inventive. Especially when it comes to nicknames. Yay!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment