Monday 11 March 2024

Gonk Lovin'

 


Gonk Lovin'
11 March 2024

Obsessive compulsive much?

 

So here’s the deal. When I do something, I. Am. All. In.

 

It is my superpower. But it can also be my kryptonite. It’s all about perspective. However, I’m a glass half full kinda gal, so I choose to see it as a positive. Cause why wouldn’t you, right?

 

My life is liberally sprinkled with many obsessive projects and interests throughout the years. And I’ve loved every single one. Or I would not be indulging in them in the first place. Makes sense.

 

So, what is my current flavour? Well, funny you should ask. You did ask, right?

 

Gonks!

 

Gonks, I tell you!

 

Gonks, and I absolutely LOVE them!

 

What, you don’t know what Gonks are? Can’t blame you. I didn’t know either.

 

However what I did know and have known for many years is that one of my obsessions is, was and will always be Xmas. The most magical time of the year. I can wax lyrical about Xmas decorations. It can become a problem, depending on how you look at things. My Grantie has a lot to say on the topic, especially when it comes to carting all of my Xmas decoration boxes out of their various hiding spaces at the end of the year, when I go into Xmas décor mode. As well as at the end of the festive season, when he is roped in once more to help take the boxes back again. In fact, all things Xmas makes my beating heart go a flutter with excitement!

 

Now when it comes to Xmas decorations, I love the old school type of thing. No bling or glitter. No big baubles and shiny tinsel either. Nothing wrong with it if that’s your thing. It just so happens to not be my thing. You do you and all of that.

 

And in my quest for old school decorations, I’ve always been besotted with the little Norwegian decorations. Kinda chunky gnome type Father Xmas characters with big beards, wooden bobble noses, round bellies and delightfully cheery hats sporting a bell. I’ve admired them often in shops and online, but they’re quite pricey. Which is a bummer. For the longest time, I’ve thought that I could probably try my hand at making them. And at the end of last year, I finally went for it. I even discovered what they’re actually called. Gonks. Even the name is cute!

 

Played around for a while with a basic “pattern” of sorts. Which basically meant cutting out paper beards and hat designs. Then tracing that onto scrap material and making a “prototype” (sounds so fancy). Thought it worked quite well. And from there it was easy. A little bit of felt, I had ample cotton, knew where to buy some bells and wooden bobbles as well as the few odds and ends I didn’t have. And I even had a bit of leftover teddybear stuffing from something I did a few years ago. Used my paper “molds” so to speak – then it’s trace, cut, sew by hand, stuff and there you go!

 

And thus, a new obsession is born. And I couldn’t be happier. Look, it’s cheaper than therapy. So there’s that.

 

I can concentrate for long periods of time and can focus. But I also dislike being idle on the one hand. Grant and I enjoy watching a series at night, but I can’t only do that. If I don’t do something else at the same time, I’m prone to resorting to fiddling with my phone. Alternatively, I do a big challenging puzzle over a period of time or play multiple rounds of double pack patience. My favourite has always been crafting. Cause here’s the thing. If I don’t do something with my hands and still mildly engage my mind, I will quite simply nod off. As in can’t keep my eyes open. Terribly dreary.

 

So, I’ve been making gonks by the gazillion. First I made a few for myself. Then I thought of gifts for family and friends, albeit that it would have to be for next Xmas, cause I clearly missed last Xmas. And then I simply didn’t want to stop. It’s such fun. And I would clearly run out of family and friends to gift them to, so I’d have to eventually find an offset point for them. If not, I’ll simply have to resort to gifting them. To everybody and anybody I can think of. Look, if Xmas is not really your thing, then that’s not my problem.

 

So ideally, I’d like to flog some towards the end of the year. I’m thinking Xmas markets and the like. Maybe a few shops that sell that kind of a thing. Or even selling them on my social media. Who can tell. Maybe nobody else likes them. What makes this wonderful world of ours so fabulous, is the fact that everyone is unique and has their own taste as well as personal likes and dislikes. For now, I’m simply loving the creative process. Finding it extremely rewarding and so fulfilling. Yes, I’m a thrill a minute. I know. You don’t have to tell me.

 

I’m running out of containers to store them in, so might have to make a plan with that. It’s a lengthy labour intensive hobby and takes quite a while from start and finish. But I am so thoroughly enjoying it. Also, thought that I might make a few Gonks with dark green hats. And then maybe some neutral type grey ones too.

 

And there I go again. Mind spinning with new possibilities. Note to self – get more boxes to store them in.

 

Gonks. Completely and utterly adorable. At least to me!

 





 


3 comments:

  1. Bettie Bertolani11 March 2024 at 21:34

    We are clearly related - LOVE a production line, keeping me busy while watching TV. Hoping I am on your list!! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful, and if u need cheap felt and stuffing and bits and bobs I'm your gal and I definitely want a few too , I've crocheted one but I still need to give him his beard 🤣🤣🤣🤣xxxx lexi Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your gonks!!!
    And you certainly have the family obsessive nature!
    That you put to good use!

    ReplyDelete